Thursday, May 7, 2009

Course Evaluation

This semester has been both an infuriating and a progressive one to me. My time in English 111 has been anything but easy, and yet it has remained one of my favorite classes. Unlike nearly every other English class I have ever taken, the assignments in this course have actually proved to be enjoyable, as well as informative. It’s also been refreshing to have a teacher that appreciates writing that isn’t the stereotypical paper; facts, facts, boring monologue, facts, end.

Throughout this semester I’ve dealt with setback after setback, which has put me constantly behind where I should be. Unlike the majority of teachers I’ve had in the past, Mr. Gasparo actually seems to give a damn about more than how you’re doing in his class. In addition to saving my grade, this has managed to instill a bit more faith in the education system.

I came into English 111 expecting another standard, boring class about writing. I’ve actually taken a course with the exact same title, English Composition, at my former school in Florida. It was nothing like this class has been. Whereas the assignments in my former class were cut-and-dry, boring papers with no personal interests even considered in their being handed out, every paper I have written in this class has not only allowed, but demanded a personal touch. Even the dreaded research paper was about a topic that interested us. Not a choice by the teacher, even if it did have to be approved by him, but a topic that we actually want to have discussed. The papers you have to write have a specific format that must be followed, as well as individual requirements that are outlined, but overall the writing style is whatever you choose it to be. Writing in a way that would normally not be allowed is fully acceptable, and if done well appreciation will be given. In my experience, this is not the norm, and it is to be commended.

The papers I have written for this class have allowed me to learn more of my own writing style, and to improve upon it. I can’t recall ever getting above an 80 on a writing assignment before this class, let alone positive comments. Since I’ve been in this class, however, I’ve received several decent grades, as well as commentary that has boosted my confidence as a writer. The revised diagnostic essay was actually one of my favorite assignments to write, because you essentially have free reign of the entire paper. With at least half the paper being required to have entirely new material than the original, this allows for an almost complete rework of the diagnostic essay, if you so choose. I did, and I had a blast writing it. Second to the revised diagnostic essay is the restaurant review. Throughout my entire review, I was offensive, mildly obnoxious, and pretty much an asshole. As opposed to former papers I’ve written in this style, where I received failing grades and negative feedback, I was actually told Mr. Gasparo enjoyed reading it. This is a welcomed surprise for someone like me, who has real problems adopting their writing to a more “friendly” style. My formatting may still suck in a lot of regards, but being told that not following MLA format is the real problem with my paper, not the content, is pretty damn good to me.

Overall, I’ve greatly enjoyed my time in this class. It’s been far from easy for me, and I’m sure I’ve given Mr. Gasparo multiple headaches from all the problems I’ve run into. I’ve never had an academic class I enjoyed as much as I have this English Composition course. I highly recommend this class to any that either need it, or want to improve their writing abilities without the stifling environment brought about by many classes like it. Hopefully soon, the student I’ve already told has to take this class will be enrolled, and enjoying it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment